Going into its fourth summer, the drought’s effects are no longer piecemeal. The drought is now affecting 99.8% of the state. No patchwork legislation or band-aid policies will fix this crisis. Governor Jerry Brown calls it a “new era” where, “the idea of your nice little green grass getting water every day [will] …be a thing of the past.” Last year, Brown implored Californians to cut back on their water usage — ideally twenty percent less usage. However, even when heavily regulating the local water agencies’ dispensing operations, the state only saw a ten percent drop in water usage in the past year.
Why We Should Cut Back on Water Usage
A year’s worth of water remains in our reservoirs. With the drought comes a lack of much-needed snowpack. Snow accounts for about thirty percent of the state’s water supply, and this year snowpack is at an all-time low. This amongst other reasons drives Brown and the State Assembly’s unanimous vote to implement the first-ever statewide, mandatory plan to reduce California’s water usage. The goal is to cut back water usage by 25%.
Provisions of the Water Usage Order
- A consumer rebate system in which Californians who purchase and use water-efficient toilets and appliances will reap financial rewards put on by the California Energy Commission.
- In conjunction with city and local governments, drought-tolerant landscapes will replace 50 million square feet of lawns.
- A ban on all watering of grassed median dividers on public streets.
- Places with large tracts of grass such as public schools, golf courses, and cemeteries will be required to markedly cut back on watering.
- Local water agencies may hike up their rates.
Pico Cleaners is a Proponent of Environmental Conservation
Pico Cleaner is associated with Green Earth Cleaning. Not only is this type of dry cleaning better for your clothes’ fabric, this means we don’t use chemicals that are harmful either to your health or the environment. As California moves forward in preserving the environment, so do we. Come in today and feel the difference in our dry-cleaning approach.